Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
A rich, creamy soup.
Butter – about 2 tablespoons
Onion – chopped
2 – 3 Celery stalks, chopped
2 – 3 Garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
1 kg Jerusalem artichokes – scrubbed and cut into chunks
Good quality sea or rock salt and black pepper to taste
- Cook the onions and celery in the butter over a medium heat until soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic, and continue cooking
- Add the artichokes, stock and salt to the pan, cover and simmer until the artichokes are soft (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Blend the soup and add salt and pepper to taste.
Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes with garlic and rosemary
Garlic cloves or bulb
Chopped rosemary leaves
- Soak the artichokes in cold water for about 10 minutes and then scrub them well to get rid of any dirt
- Cut large artichokes into pieces, leave smaller ones whole
- Heat coconut oil in a roasting tin
- Add artichokes, whole unpeeled garlic cloves or garlic bulb cut in half width ways,
- Sprinkle with rosemary
- Coat everything with the oil
- Roast until the outside is crispy and the insides tender (about 45 minutes)
- Season and serve
Can also be roasted as part of a mixed tray of vegetables along with pumpkin, kumara, potatoes, onions etc.